What to do if IRS rejects your e-filed return and says you’ve already filed?

You may very well be a victim of tax identity theft.  According to the Service, every year crooks using stolen social security claim billions of dollars in fraudulent refunds.  And that’s not counting the phony refunds that the IRS blocks.

You have two options to report the problem to the Revenue Service.  The first is to complete a paper IRS form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit, and attach it to your return that you mail in.  Or you can submit the 14039 online at www.identitytheft.gov, a websites maintained by the Federal Trade Commission, and separately mail in your return and any tax you owe.  Make sure to put fraud alerts on your credit records and check your accounts with your financial institutions.

The Kiplinger Tax Letter (April 2018)